Siddu a "Himachali dish" is one of the most loved dishes in Himachal mostly in Mandi, Kullu, Manali, Rohru and Shimla. It is just a kind of bread made from wheat flour. To make siddu you need to do is make a mixture of wheat and yeast. After kneaded wheat with yeast allow the dough to raise at least for 4 to 5 hours or wait until it rises well.
Always keep in mind that siddu cannot me made just in minutes. It needs a couple of hours as siddu is dough yeast based. Now, i am going to tell you how siddu is served to people in Himachal. Normally, it is eaten or served with Desi Ghee “Clarified Butter”, Dal (Mainly Lentil Broth) or with Green Chutney (made from mint ‘Pudina’). It might not be looking good in the picture above, but trust me it’s really goona charge up your taste buds.
Now, i am sharing what and how much ingredient do you need to make siddu
|Preparation Time||60 Minutes|
|Cooking Time||30 Minutes|
|Wheat Flour||1/2 kg|
|Dried Yeast||2 teaspoon|
|Water (Lukewarm)||1 Cup|
|Salt||According to Taste|
|Green Chillies||100 gm|
|Green peas||100 gm|
|Groundnuts (Akhrot)||100 gm|
|Ghee (Clarified Butter)||100 ml|
|Turmeric Powder||20 gm|
|Coriander or Dania||20 gm|
|Fenugreek or Methi||20 gm|
|Other Species||20 gm each|
< So finally, I am going to share how to prepare siddu step by step:
- Take 1/2 kg of wheat flour add 2 teaspoon of dried yeast in to it and enough water to make soft dough.
- Knead well, it can take at least 15 minutes, then leave until dough is raised, it can take 5 to 6 hours. Be sure it is covered with something to avoid or prevent dust.
- Grind boiled green peas, green chillies, groundnuts and flakes and other above listed ingredient well.
- Then add chopped paneer and salt into stuffing.
- Add some salt to stuffing according to your taste.
- Now stuffing is ready.
- Take out your dough bowl, break off small balls of it, dip them in flour and roll out to the thickness of 5 rupee coin.
- Then spread 2 tablespoon of the stuffing paste over the centre of the dough circle, leaving about 1/2 cm at the edge.
- Fold the dough in half fold the edge back over on itself then pinch the edges to firmly seal.
- Now siddu is ready for steam.
- Then place siddu in a steamer or oven and cook for 15 minutes.
Enjoy hot with Chutney or Desi Ghee!!
Leave your comments!